The Introduction to Christian History course provides an essential overview. This highly informative, broad-ranging study, taught by scholar and author Stephen Backhouse, provides vital facts on the growth and impact of Christianity from the apostles to the present day not only in the Western world but also globally, including the development of Eastern Orthodox and Armenian Christianity, as well as Christianity in Latin America, Southeast Asia, the Baltic and Slavic states, and India. The course is organized by century, going through the major events, ideas, and personalities that have shaped Christian history around the world.
Topics covered include:
- The main threads and issues running through each century of Christian history
- Explanations of key historical developments
- Thematic connections between centuries
- Focused looks at key persons, ideas, and events
The final unit, devoted to the present century, identifies key themes that the Christian church is presently dealing with and suggests future issues. The Introduction to Christian History course will aid students in grasping the global, multifaceted story of Christians.
By completing this course, you’ll gain:
- A general understanding of key places, people, dates, and events that have shaped the history of Christianity
- Insight into the connections between centuries and how the past is important for the present and the future
- Practical knowledge of the basics of Christianity from the apostles to the present day
- Confidence in your growing knowledge through personalized review sessions and unit assessments