This program will equip you for serious study of the Bible in the original languages, along with foundational knowledge for working with extra-biblical literature in Aramaic and Ugaritic.
Whether you’re a pastor preaching every week, a graduate student preparing for advanced study, or a serious layperson who desires a deep understanding of the original languages, the Ancient Languages Certificate is the best place to begin.
Get immediate access to all 8 online courses in the program
Access 80 hours of video lectures from William D. Mounce, Miles Van Pelt, Gary D. Pratico, Daniel B. Wallace, Constantine R. Campbell, and Michael Williams
Work through the courses at your own pace—take up to 36 months
Earn a Certificate of Completion
No prior knowledge of the languages is required
- Basics of Biblical Greek 1, taught by William D. Mounce
- Basics of Biblical Greek 2, taught by William D. Mounce
- Reading Biblical Greek, taught by Constantine R. Campbell
- Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics, taught by Daniel B. Wallace
- Basics of Biblical Hebrew 1, taught by Miles Van Pelt
- Basics of Biblical Hebrew 2, taught by Miles Van Pelt
- Basics of Biblical Aramaic, taught by Miles Van Pelt
- Basics of Ancient Ugaritic, taught by Michael Williams
Designed to help you succeed
Work at your own pace.
Take as much time as you need to work through each course and each lesson—up to 36 months. We’ll walk you through every lesson, step-by-step, to make sure you understand each concept before you move on. Pause and rewind video lectures, work through the review sessions as many times as you’d like, and study at the times of day that work best for you. No deadlines, no pressure.
Learn from seasoned teachers and scholars.
Your instructors are William D. Mounce, Gary D. Pratico, Miles Van Pelt, Daniel B. Wallace, Michael Williams, and Constantine R. Campbell. They have taught the material for decades both in traditional classroom settings and online. Everything has been expertly designed and time-tested. Thousands of students have learned to read the Bible in the original languages using these materials—and now you can, too.
Get access to tools proven to help you learn.
Take advantage of the most sophisticated adaptive learning technology ever developed for language acquisition. The tool, built by Cerego, has been used around the world by language learners of all ages and abilities.
Get digital access to all course materials—anytime, anywhere.
Get access to 80 hours of video materials, plus all textbook readings, exercises, quizzes, and more. The lessons and learning materials have been adapted from the Basics of Biblical Greek, Basics of Biblical Hebrew, and Basics of Biblical Aramaic textbooks. Hundreds of thousands of students have successfully used these materials to learn the biblical languages. Now you can, too.
Begin working in the languages the very first day.
In just a few hours from now, you'll have learned the alphabet and basic pronunciation.
What you will learn
- Master the elements of Greek grammar and syntax
- Master the Greek noun and pronoun case system
- Master the Greek Present Active Indicative
- Master the Greek verbal system
- Master the nuances of the Greek participle
- Gain experience in translating the New Testament, beginning with Mark 1–4
- Gain familiarity with the syntax of New Testament Greek
- Learn to employ Greek grammar, vocabulary, and syntax in sound exegesis
- Master the basics of reading and writing in biblical Hebrew: the alphabet, vowels, syllabification, and pronunciation
- Identify Hebrew nouns, pronouns, adjectives, prepositions, and the definite article, and know their various forms
- Master the Hebrew verbal system
- Recognize and understand basic Hebrew syntax
- Build a vocabulary of 300 words in biblical Hebrew
- Master Hebrew infinitives and participles
- Begin to use a working knowledge of grammar, syntax, and vocabulary in exegesis of the Old Testament
- Learn the Aramaic alphabet
- Be able to read all 269 verses of Aramaic in the Old Testament
- Understand Aramaic nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and other parts of speech
- Acquire a basic familiarity with Aramaic verb forms
- Learn the Ugaritic alphabet
- Gain foundational knowledge of Ugaritic nouns, prepositions, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and other parts of speech
- Acquire a basic familiarity with Ugaritic verb forms
How to earn the Certificate
Achieve an 80% or higher grade in each of the eight required courses.
Complete all coursework within 36 months of enrolling.
Notify us of completion.
When we have confirmed you have satisfied the program requirements, we will issue a Certificate of Completion.